Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rock Climbing

Some of the students in Andrew's program decided to go rock climbing last weekend, so we decided to tag along.  I had never been before.  I have been repelling and on ropes courses, but I never climbed before.  And let me tell you, I am sad that I had not gone climbing sooner.  It was a total blast.  I will admit though it was a lot harder than I expected.  It took me the entirety of the three hours we were there to make it to the top of one of the courses. 

It was a great work out though.  I discovered that I have absolutely no upper body strength.  That is alright though because most of the actual climbing power comes from your legs.  You just have to hang on with your hands for the most part.  


 Some of our friends in the program who had climbed before were working on the harder routes.  I could not believe how agile they were.  I mean as soon as I had to go over even the smallest lip I was toast.

And then there were these guys.....the ones who were climbing up a wall and then over the ceiling !!!  It was amazing and terrifying to watch.  They were clipping them selves in as they went.  At couple of times when they fell, they would free fall a good 10 feet before the ropes would catch.  Not my cup of tea.....at all. 


So to any of you who have ever considered rock climbing before, DO IT!  And it is never to late to start.  We climbed with a woman who looked like she was in her 60's.  She completely smoked us up the wall. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment