Friday, March 30, 2012

I applaud you Mr. Bailey: Honesty

So it has been a while since the last post.  Things have been pretty busy around here.  Stay tuned for pictures from the past month to see what we have been up to.  But for this post I want to talk about something I stumbled across today.

Lately I have been thinking about the ins and outs of owning and running a business.  Everyone does things in their own unique way and thus there is no book on how to be successful no matter what.  Success depends on perseverance, determination, your situation, hard work, support, etc.

I believe though, that there are some things that remain true across the board.  Today I came across a blog post by Preston Bailey that was discussing how to deal with clients.  Preston is a very talented designer and has worked with the best.  As I read his post, his words really hit home for me.  Here is part of the post:

"We may not be able to always win, but we can always try. Here are some tips I’ve learned over the years:
1. Remember integrity: you’ll be a better salesperson with it. Your greatest selling asset is honesty. Do not over-promise!!
2. As often as possible, gently remind your clients that you’re doing everything you can to create their dream event.
3. But stick to the honesty — keep clients informed of the (sometimes) cold, hard truth: if something goes wrong or isn’t working, let them know. And then immediately reassure them that you are taking care of it. That’s what I call integrity.
Unfortunately, I’ve work with many vendors who promise the world, but, at the end of the day, show up empty-handed. So, if you want to be successful, tell the truth."
Now that is the kind of person I want on my team! Someone who will work hard, fess up to his/her short comings and always do their best.  I applaud you Mr. Bailey, for having that kind of character. 

You can read the rest of his blog here.

And here is a picture of one of his events. 
preston bailey inspiration spring floral design decor



No comments:

Post a Comment